Save Money with Free Content Marketing Tools
If you’ve just opened your tutoring business, or you’re looking for ways to expand your small tutoring business, you likely don’t have a big budget for marketing. One cost-effective option you may want to explore is content marketing.
“Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads” (source) While it will require time, planning, and research, you won’t have to invest any additional budget to get started.
In this guide, we’ll look at a few different types of content marketing as well as free tools that you can use for each.
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is a form of marketing that places a strong focus on creating and distributing content tailored for a specific audience (such as adult students or parents of child students) online.
Some examples of content marketing include blogging, emails, videos, social media posts and downloadable guides.
The Benefits of Content Marketing
“78% of consumers will trust your brand if you create more customized content.” (source)
In addition to building brand trust and being a cost effective choice, content marketing can also:
- Improve your search engine rankings and drive more traffic to your website.
- Position you as an industry leader.
- Make it easy for clients to share your services with friends and family.
Content Marketing Channels and Tools for your Tutoring Business
Writing doesn’t come naturally to everyone, but if you know your subject and follow some guidelines, you’ll be generating quality content in no time.
General Blogging Tips:
- Make sure that you know exactly who the audience is. Are you writing for adult students? Parents of young children? Tutors for recruitment purposes? Knowing who you are writing for will help you to address the reader correctly.
- Choose topics that add value. Think about questions you receive from your clients on a regular basis and convert them into blog posts.
- Keep SEO in mind, but keep it natural. It’s important to use relevant keywords in your content, but make sure that you’re using them sparingly and only when they make sense.
- Use a featured image or banner image to grab the reader’s attention.
Free Blogging Tools:
You may already have a website with a blog section where you can add your posts. If not, you can use one of the free tools below to get started with your blog (and a website, if you still need one).
For blog images, you can use the resources below:
- Canva – a graphic design platform.
- Unsplash – royalty free images.
- Freepik – a large library of images that you can use as long as you credit the artist.
Content templates: Hubspot compiled a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to write a blog post with templates. You can access the guide here: How to Write a Blog Post: A Step-by-Step Guide
Email marketing is a useful tool that can help you find, engage and retain clients. There are many types of emails including transactional (such as welcome emails or lesson reminders) and promotional emails (such as announcements or newsletters).
General Email Newsletter Tips:
We’ll focus on email newsletters specifically for this section since they are quick to create and relevant to your clients.
- Only send newsletters if you have something valuable to share with your clients. You don’t have to send one every week just for the sake of sending one.
- Be descriptive with your subject line and preview text. Let clients know exactly what to expect when they open an email from you.
- Email newsletters should be scannable, focused and to the point.
- Pay attention to open rates and click through rates. These metrics provide useful information that you can use to improve your future emails.
- More tips: 13 Email Newsletter Design Tips To Boost Clicks And Engagement
Teachworks’ Email Features:
Teachworks takes care of transactional emails such as welcome emails, lesson requests, new invoice emails, low package balance emails, and more. These emails are all customizable.
You can also send custom, non-promotional, emails through our Email Add-on. For emails that you send on a regular basis, you can save a template to speed up the process.
For promotional and other types of emails, we offer a MailChimp Integration that allows you to sync your Teachworks contacts to MailChimp. You can use MailChimp to create beautiful email campaigns so share with your clients.
If you would like to use another email service, you can download the Family, Student or Employee list from Teachworks and import users to your preferred email service.
Free Email Tools:
Most email platforms offer a free plan that’s perfect for those starting out. As your business grows you can subscribe to a paid plan and benefit from additional features and functionality.
3. Social Media Posts
Posting on social media on a regular basis is an easy way to connect with your clients and keep your brand top of mind. You can let your followers know about your current services, new services, new hires, employee milestones, useful tips and any other information that will add value.
You don’t have to register on every social media platform, but do some testing to see where your clients and prospective clients are most active. Start with the most popular platforms like Facebook and Twitter first and then take it from there.
General Social Media Tips:
- Keep promotional posts to a minimum. If you do post promotional content, be sure to highlight the benefit it holds for your followers.
- Post a few times a week to make sure your content reaches more people.
- Use eye-catching designs that match your brand.
- Listen to the statistics. If certain posts usually get more engagement, use the same principles for future posts.
- Use automation to save some time. Use a service like Buffer to automatically share your blog posts to your social media pages.
- More tips: 13 Smart Tips To Supercharge Your Social Media Marketing Strategy
Free Social Media Tools and Resources:
- Buffer (for scheduling posts)
- Canva (for design elements)
- Do a quick Google search to find riddles, quotes, math problems, quizzes and other engaging content that would make sense for your followers. You can redesign them using Canva if they don’t fit your brand.
Most smartphones have video capabilities that allow you to create short, engaging videos fairly easily. You can create videos that showcase your classrooms and tutors, or you can get behind the camera to share your knowledge with your clients.
General Video Tips:
- Keep videos short – under a minute should do the trick.
- Don’t be too promotional with the videos you create – show, don’t tell.
- Use some royalty free music to make your video more interesting.
- Write out a script before shooting the video to make sure you stay on track.
Free Video Tools and Resources:
- Video software that comes free with your iphone or android
- Hitfilm Express
- Youtube’s video editor
- Bensound (Royalty Free Music)
- How to Develop a Content Strategy: A Start-to-Finish Guide
- The Ultimate Collection of Free Content Marketing Templates
Content marketing is a cost effective way to reach more clients, build trust, and position your tutoring business as an industry leader. While it requires time and research, it doesn’t have to be a strain on your budget. In this article we looked at various tools and resources that you can use for your tutoring business.
Shifting your focus to marketing initiatives will take time out of your already busy day, so it’s important to ensure that other areas of your business are running smoothly. Teachworks can help you get organized by streamlining and automating your admin work. Simplify your scheduling, billing, communications and more. Click below to start your free 3 week trial!